President George HW Bush appointed Chris Viehbacher Chairman of the CEO Roundtable on Cancer in 2011. Chris served as Chairman through December 3, 2015.
Chris is the Managing Partner of Gurnet Point Capital, a Boston-based investment fund. He is also a member of the Board of Pure Tech Health plc and is the Chairman of Vedanta, a Pure Tech portfolio company. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of Northeastern University.
Chris is the former CEO and Member of the Board of Directors of Sanofi, a Fortune 50 Biopharmaceutical company based in Paris. He was also the Chairman of the Board of Genzyme in Boston.
Prior to joining Sanofi, Chris spent 20 years with GlaxoSmithKline in Germany, Canada, France and, latterly, the US as President of GSK North America. He was a Member of the Board of Directors of GSK plc in London and Co-President of GSK’s Portfolio Management Board. Chris began his career with Price Waterhouse after graduating with a degree in Commerce at Queen's University in Canada.
Chris has been a strong advocate for the healthcare industry. Current and past advocacy roles include:
- Former Co-chair with Bill Gates, the CEO Roundtable on Neglected Diseases
- Chairman of the CEO Roundtable on Cancer.
- Chairman of the Board of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in Washington
- President of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations in Brussels.
- Chair of the Health Governors at World Economic Forum and Co-chair of a WEF initiative to create a Global Charter for Healthy Living.
- Member of the International Business Council.
Chris has in the past served on various advisory groups at MIT, Duke University and Queen’s University at Kingston, Ontario.
Chris has received the Pasteur Foundation Award for outstanding commitment to safeguarding and improving health worldwide. He has also received France’s highest civilian honor, the Legion d’Honneur.
Chris is married with three children. He fluently speaks English, French and German.